Wednesday, February 20, 2013

project distraction

i knocked out the baby bib on saturday afternoon. this is my third time making this pattern, so now it's smooth sailing.

i was going to make my own bias tape, but i looked in my stash and ta-da i already had some extra wide double fold in black. so that saved some time. (anyone else hate the seam in those packs? i strategically cut my pieces so that i wouldn't have to use the part with the seam.) nothing crazy exciting to report. i used some interfacing between the 2 layers of fabric to give it more stability. and i think it turned out pretty cute, so i'm happy.


front

back


i don't have any small children nearby to test the fit, but i noticed this bear looked about the right size…


bear model

bear model workin the back
so that was my little break from my current project which is dragggggging out. i'm getting to the point where i really want to start something new and abandon the dress out of boredom. but i need to power through. it's ok if i love or hate the end result, but i don't want to leave a bunch of unfinished projects. no project left behind! =)

how often do you abandon a project midway? do you do little projects in the middle of a big project? or multiple projects all at the same time? or do you stick to one project at a time?



13 comments:

  1. That is a really cute bib, and definitely looks big enough to be useful. Some of the bibs we got for my niece didn't even begin to cover the mess she made. :)

    I am totally a project abandoner. If it's not exciting me, I don't work on it. I am pretty good about knowing what projects I have started and finishing them eventually though, so they're not really abandoned, just postponed until they're appealing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it looks pretty long - it's a bib/apron. I think next time i might try it in an oil cloth or something that's easy to wipe clean.

      I'm trying not to abandon too many. i did abandon one dress last summer, but i'll finish it before it gets warm again, i think. it was just huge and shapeless, but now i think i can fix it. and there was a top i started making, but i don't know what i was thinking, so i'm just going to use the fabric to make something else entirely.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks! the bear didn't enjoy it. he usually wears a blue pinstriped vest and glasses. so pink with polka dots aren't really his style. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm a one project at a time girl. I can't even cut multiple projects and then sew them up one at a time (they loose their appeal if they aren't sewn immediately). Unless I'm headed to retreat.

    That little bib turned out perfect. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i want to do one project at a time, but i'm just sooo slowww. this one project feels like it's taking forever

      Delete
  4. Very cute! And how handy was that to have a bear passing by?

    I am a 'multiple project sewer'! I like to sew a few things at the same time, so if one is not as good as I though it would be, there are others not far behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right! he sits on a shelf on the bookcase that my fabric is stored on. i actually used to sew clothes for all my stuffed animals when i was little. ok not entirely true. i had like 3 favorite stuffed animals and i sewed clothes for them, and all the other stuffed animals weren't so lucky, they didn't get any clothes…

      Delete
  5. I used to get sidetracked all the time. This year it is my goal to stay focused on one project at a time. It is much harder than I thought :) Don't give up on that dress! How much more do you have to do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't touched it in like a week, ahhhh. So i still have to attach the skirt and do the zipper and then hem it. i keep getting too many ideas for new stuff i want to make. for some reason now i really want to make a red pencil skirt. and i also want to make some knit tops on my serger…

      Delete
    2. Focus, focus, focus! :) You are so close!! One thing that I found that helps, is that I put my timer on my phone and set it for 30 minutes, and try to do this once a day. This gets me actually sewing without the thought that I will be there for hours. Even if you do 15 minutes, that is enough to pin the skirt to the bodice! Then you can spend time on another project if you want, but don't stop now!

      Delete
  6. Hey that bear makes a great dress form! I love the bib! Mine never look anywhere near as professional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! I love it! I'm really trying these days to only work on a single project at a time, otherwise I end up with too much clutter and chaos in my apartment and I don't finish anything. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I welcome any advice, insights, witty remarks, snarky comebacks, commiserations or just a quick hello. I'd love to check out your blog as well, so let me know where you're posting. Happy sewing!