Friday, April 12, 2013

sewlution complete!

confession: i already finished my sewlution that went in karen's jar! my first fully lined dress! and then i finished something else. and then i started something new (if you couldn't tell from my last post about darts.) and i haven't posted any pics!

it's just that i'm not that great at having my picture taken. i blink a lot. and then i just don't know what to do. and then the weather wasn't cooperating. i really wanted to do a full-on shoot outside. i was going to try out the self timer on my camera and set up my tiny tripod and everything. didn't happen. but today i decided to actually wear the dress out of the house. weather was overcast and blah this morning, but my husband snapped a few photos before i ran off to work. so i'm going to just go ahead and post these and hopefully take better ones outside later. maybe.

i threw on a yellow sweater because it's always chilly in the office. i was originally thinking black sweater or white sweater, but those looked even more blah with it. i decided the color of the fabric looks blah on me. i love the shape of the pattern up close and i do like the colors, but when they blend together it's not as great. here's an up close shot of the fabric. anyway.

this one is good, but you can't see the hem

ok, now we can see the hem

oh wait i should take of the sweater

and show the back too

and this last one is just because i love so much when you guys include photo outtakes. 

i usually make stupid faces in photos

so there you have it! fully lined dress is complete. not my fave dress. but i learned a lot in the process and now feel comfortable adding a lining. and this pattern didn't include any instructions for a lining. also my invisible zip is sandwiched neatly between the fabric and the lining and i included facings as well. and this fabric was kinda a bi-a to sew, very slippery. but i conquered it. and i fixed a lot of fitting issues. i'm happy with the fit now, so i'll probably use it again in a better fabric and change the neckline and maybe scoop out the back. now i'm going to fully line everything. ok maybe not everything.



24 comments:

  1. Nicely done! This looks great! Don't lined dresses feel amazing??? They just have a weight and drape that feels expensive and fancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the lining does make the weight of the bodice feel alot more substantial. my lining actual cost more than my main fabric! (but the main fabric was half off, so...)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks great! And I don't think the colour is blah at all, esp with the yellow cardi - it really makes it pop. Well done on completing your sewlution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think without the sweater it needs a necklace or maybe a little black belt. i am definitely not a stylist though!

      Delete
  3. Looking good!! yay!! I'm so behind on my sewlution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, you still have plenty of time for your sewlution!

      Delete
  4. It looks good on you! Well done on completing your sewultion, mine is to make a pair of trousers and I'm a bit scared to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't tried trousers either! but i keep buying floaty patterned fabric that really wouldn't make good trousers! best wishes with yours!

      Delete
  5. Its lovely enough to be a going out dress - its very pretty. And your photographs are fine - I think quite a few of us feel self conscious doing blog photos - I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i guess i need to just practice, or hire a model!!!

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic! Isn't it so worth it to just have finished and call it done! I think a cute black belt (or even red?!?) would look adorable with this dress. Now that you have lined a garment, the next one will seem way easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really wasn't as difficult as i thought it would be once i figured out inserting the zip in between the fabric and lining.

      Delete
  7. The fit is so perfect. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! i'm glad i went back and fixed those fit issues

      Delete
  8. You look beautiful. I like understated and your dress is really nice and understated. I love it! And you photograph beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I need to get around to a project like this..

    ReplyDelete
  10. It came out so well! The fit is perfect. I've had that disappointing experience with fabrics before. I sewed an adorable trench dress out of some red/off white/blue seersucker looking fabric. Except that from even a few feet away the colors blended together to be almost the exact color of my skin. Blah. I gave it away after one wear.

    But now that you have perfected the pattern, you can make it again any color you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I think i'll make another in a different fabric! I'm trying to be more critical of the fabrics i buy.

      Even worse, once i had a white bikini with tiny red flowers and the print looked adorable up close, but from a few feet away the colors blended together and looked like my skin tone. Not what you want in a bikini or a dress!!!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on fulfilling your sewlution. I'm about to embark on my first lined and dress, and your dress is an inspiration. The result looks great and the yellow cardigan looks good with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Best wishes on your lined dress! If you have any questions along the way let me know and i'm happy to help! =)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I welcome any advice, insights, witty remarks, snarky comebacks, commiserations or just a quick hello. I'd love to check out your blog as well, so let me know where you're posting. Happy sewing!